Supporting you and seeing you thrive during your academic journey
Welcome to the University of Northern Iowa. The UNI community works together to provide a learning-centered approach to exceptional graduate education programs. The Graduate College has put together this resource to help you be successful in your GA responsibilities.
New employees must complete the required paperwork on or before their first day of employment. Important: Form I-9’s Section I must be completed timely (as well as direct deposit and personnel data forms) in order to get your first paycheck on time.
- Form I-9
- On or before your first day of employment, you must complete section 1 of Form I-9 via the electronic I-9 system. You can review this guide for detailed instructions.
- On or before your third day of employment, present documentation to verify your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, in person, to the Human Resource Services office located at 027 Gilchrist between 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Copies cannot be accepted.
- Direct Deposit Form (pdf)
- State and Federal W-4 Forms (pdf): Complete your State and Federal W-4 forms online through the Employee Self Service in e-Business Suite. Employee Self Service is normally available by your 1st or 2nd day of employment.
- Personnel Data Form (pdf)
- Set up your Emergency Contact Information in e-Business Suite (pdf)
Review the available parking lot locations and then apply for your parking permit. The Office of Public Safety is located in 030 Gilchrist and is open 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. For more information, visit the Department of Public Safety page. Remember, Graduate Assistants may purchase the A or B lot parking permits.
Complete mandatory training between your first and second week of employment and provide the certificate of completion to your supervisor. Please note: you’ll be able to access these modules once your hiring paperwork has been fully processed.
- Title IX Training
- FERPA Basics
- Harassment and Discrimination Prevention
- UNI 1st Amendment Training
- Data Security
Meet with your supervisor to discuss expectations and responsibilities, including the following items (suggested):
- Work dates, time, and location. Update your MyUniverse Office/work address with an on-campus location (required for all GAs).
- Request any keys or access cards to your office, desk, work area, etc.
- Computer access: email, MyUniverse, applicable departmental software, etc. Any other office/work supplies.
- Departmental expectations: office/work hours, common practices, dress attire, unwritten rules.
- Facilities: restrooms, equipment, break areas/vending.
- Departmental policies & procedures, organizational chart.
- Payroll dates (GAs get paid at the end of each month) and procedure for reporting absences.
- Safety policies and procedures.