Minutes for the Graduate Council/ Summer 2018
July 18, 2018
- During the month of May, 2018, the Graduate Faculty Chair asked the Graduate Faculty to vote to ratify a change to the constitution defining the Associate Graduate Faculty Status due to a new process to approve credentials for teaching including graduate courses.
- The Graduate Faculty ratified the vote via electronic means.
- On June 14, 2018, Dr. Chris Curran (Incoming Graduate Faculty Chair) communicated the outcome of the vote to the Dean of the Graduate College (Dr. Pease).
- Several transition events took place at the Graduate College during the month of July and Dr. Jennifer Waldron became the Dean of the Graduate College.
- On July 18, Dr. Jennifer Waldron sent an electronic message to all graduate faculty that explained the results of the vote.
- The proposed amendments passed with more than 2/3 of the Graduate Faculty voting supporting the changes. Specifically, 93% voted yes to support the proposed amendments, 4% voted no on the proposed amendments and 3 % abstained (N = 202).
- The proposed amendments to the Associate Graduate Faculty Status included three basic changes:
- It removed the credential verification process for teaching which is now done by the Provost’s Office at the time of hiring for all faculty and instructors.
- It provided limited rights to the status of Associate Graduate Faculty, such as being able to serve as a regular member on a thesis committee. It also limits other rights, for example, Associate members cannot chair a thesis committee or be a voting member of the Graduate Council.
- It made Associate status permanent (for UNI employees) rather than year-to-year renewable.
Associate Dean of the Graduate College