Graduate Council Meeting Minutes
January 11, 2018
Present: Curran, Cyphert, Edmister, Elm, Igou, Olivares, O’Loughlin, Pease, Rau, Rod-Welch, Schwieger.
Absent: Al-Mabuk, Berendzen, Bullard & Pohl.
Grad College Interim Associate Dean Dr. Olivares called the meeting to order at 3:30 p.m.
Dr. Olivares welcomed Provost Wolpart at the meeting and called a motion to approve the minutes of the December 14, 2017 meeting. Motion was carried and passed.
1. Provost Wolhpart visited the committee to inform about the search for Dean of the Graduate College.
- Associate Provost and Dean Position have been separated.
- New Position: Associate Vice President of Research and Sponsored Programs and Dean of the Graduate College.
- New position would aim at building bridges with faculty and it would oversee RSP.
- It is being decided if the new dean will have a teaching assignment.
- It is being decided if the search will be external or internal.
- Announcements may go out in early February. Faculty Senate will provide feedback for timeline
2. Director of Graduate Life Schwieger provided information on two upcoming workshops prior to Graduate Symposium:
- Preparing Posters for Conference Presentation Workshop for Graduate Students will be on Monday, January 22, Noon-1:00 p.m. in Rod Library, ScholarSpace Room 301., presented by Dr. Patrick Pease.
- Preparing Oral Presentations for Conferences for Graduate Students will be on Tuesday, January 23, 2:00-1:00 p.m. in Rod Library, ScholarSpace Room 301, presented by Dr. Gabriela Olivares.
3. Dean Pease provided information updates on the advances on CRM-new system to customize data and communications.
4. Dean Pease confirmed that edits to the catalog were shared with other deans and accepted
5. Assoc. Dean Olivares presented more edits to graduate catalog for probation and suspension status. Based on number of credits and plan GPA, current students go on probation/suspension immediately.
6. It was agreed to modify catalog language to include probation status for all students prior to any suspension. Also, language would need to be modified to include some consideration for demonstrating “a continually improved plan GPA toward graduation” for prospective students on probation/suspension status. Length of suspension was also discussed. It would be advisable to shorten it to one semester.
7. Dean Pease and Assoc. Dean Olivares would reword probation/suspension narrative with the suggestions. Document would be sent to committee shortly.
8. There was no agreement on reducing the number of hours for 6000 level courses for programs in non-thesis and thesis option.
9. Dual MA programs had some concern with assistantship language in catalog. The current language would prevent students from obtaining funding. Language would be addressed for catalog.
Meeting adjourned. The next meeting will be on January 25, at 3:30 p.m.