Graduate Council Minutes #976

Graduate Council Minutes No. 976

October 23, 2008

Present: Buckholz, Clayton, Coulter, DeLucenay, Etscheidt, Jackson, Licari, Nelson,

Pohl, Stalp, Waldron,

Absent: Fecik, Joseph, Leutzinger, Moon, Wurtz

Guest: Schwieger

 

Pohl called the meeting to order.

 

1. Approval of Minutes from October 10, 2008

Nelson made a motion to approve the minutes from the October 10, 2008 meeting.

Etscheidt seconded the motion. Discussion followed. Minutes were approved with

changes noted.

 

2. Graduate College Reports

Licari reported an initiative has been launched by the Provost to examine diversity at

UNI. Lubker will appoint task force members. Joseph will discuss with the Provost how

this applies to the Graduate College.

Joseph is also working on the Plagiarism Survey for graduate students. Students will

need to complete the survey before they are allowed to register for classes. The survey

will be two questions. Any suggestions can be emailed to Joseph.

Licari updated the Graduate Council on the progress being made on the Research

Integrity Policy. Currently UNI is not in compliance; the policy is required to receive

federal funds. The changes in this policy may affect 12.01 and 12.05; changes would

need to be approved by the Graduate Council before the Research Integrity Policy could

be initiated.

Licari thanked Pohl for her service to the Graduate Council.

 

3. Changes to “Outstanding Contributions to Graduate Education” Award

Clayton distributed information regarding the award and asked for suggestions or

possible changes. Changes in language were suggested. The amount of cash prize is

negotiable. Recognition of faculty members will be at fall meeting. All nominees would

receive a letter. Some graduate programs are interdisciplinary and could be nominated by

either department. Appropriate administrative personnel, including graduate

coordinators, may nominate faculty. The award is intended for one year rather than

accomplishments throughout career so the faculty activity report is more applicable to use

in determining recipients rather than vitae. Maureen will make changes to document and

bring to the next meeting for approval.

 

4. Volunteers for Fundraising

Clayton stated the Graduate College is looking for fundraising ideas and asked for

volunteers to generate ideas. Nelson felt the initial goal of this group should be to

explore avenues of fundraising open to the Graduate College. Joseph is working on a

draft of letter to be sent to UNI graduate alumni. Pohl felt initial group for fundraising

ideas should be limited to Graduate Council and invite members of Graduate Faculty to

join once plans are more concrete. Coulter asked if permission was needed from UNI

Foundation to do fundraising. Etscheidt suggested we contact the Foundation with our

intentions. Nelson suggested email be sent to Graduate Council in order to include

absent members who may be interested. Clayton will arrange meeting.

 

5. Graduate Assistantships

Item was tabled. Dr. Sitlington is preparing presentation for Graduate Council at a future

date.

 

6. Election of Graduate Council Chair

Etscheidt nominated Waldron; motion was seconded by Waldron. Motion passed.

Waldron will serve as Graduate Council Chair for 2008 – 2009.

 

7. Adjourn

Motion by Stalp, seconded by Nelson to adjourn the meeting. Motion passed. Meeting

was adjourned at 4:00 p.m.

The next meeting of the Graduate Council will be November 13, 2008 at 3:30 p.m. in

Lang 115.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Machelle Stickler

Secretary