A Graduate Assistantship is an employment position on campus that is awarded full-time (20 hours per week) or half-time (10 hours per week). Assistantships enhance the student’s graduate education by exposing them to professional activities and concerns of their discipline and gives them the opportunity to work closely with faculty and other university professionals. Offers are extended by the Graduate College.
- Having tuition billed at the resident rate
- Being able to purchase an “A” (faculty/staff) campus parking permit
Note: Student must maintain at least a half-time assistantship for the entire semester to receive these benefits.
- Salaries are paid through payroll the last business day of each month during the awarded semester.
- Taxes are withheld on GA salaries
- This position is distinct from hourly student employment
Qualifications to Receive Award:
- Student must be enrolled for at least 9 qualifying graduate credit hours (workshops, off campus courses, audit courses, guided independent study (correspondence) courses can not be used as part of this minimum load).
- Student must have an official transcript on file in the Office of Admissions showing that their bachelors (or any other required) degree has been conferred.
- Student must be admitted to UNI graduate degree program.
- Student needs to be declared in their graduate degree program.
- Student must maintain a UNI cumulative graduate GPA of at least 3.00. A newly admitted graduate student must have at least a 3.0 GPA for undergraduate or previous graduate work of at least 8 graded credit hours. If GPA drops below a 3.0 the assistantship will end.