Graduate College

Application Checklist for International Students

Application Checklist for International Students

For more details visit the International Admissions Website at

  • Submit a completed International Application for Admission online or by mail to the Office of International Admissions, UNI, and Cedar Falls IA 50614-0018. The print application for International Admissions may be found at
  • Pay application fee by credit card or submit a bank draft or money order made payable to the  University of Northern Iowa, or by Flywire to the Office of International Admissions, UNI, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018. (Not necessary for applicants who earned a degree or anticipate receiving a degree from UNI.)
  • All official school transcripts, each bearing the seal and signature of a school registrar must be mailed directly from the institution to the UNI Office of International Admissions.  Academic records must be submitted in the language of instruction and accompanied by an English translation.  Unofficial documents can he submitted at the time of application.  However, all official transcripts must be submitted before enrollment.
  • If English is not your native language you must have a TOEFL or IELTS score sent directly by the testing agency to the Office of International Admissions.  A TOEFL score of 550 (paper based) or 79 (internet based) or an IELTS score of 6.5 is required for unconditional admission for applicants whose first language is not English. Some programs may require a higher score. See program list for details at UNI’s ETS code is 6307.
  • Submit any additional application materials (if needed) that are required by the specific graduate program to which you are applying.  For a list of additional materials required by specific programs, see

Note: If your program requires standardized examinations such as the GRE or GMAT, these test scores must be sent directly by the issuing testing agencies to the Office of International Admissions.

  • If you are requesting a graduate assistantship or graduate tuition scholarship from your graduate program, fill out a graduate assistantship application and a graduate tuition scholarship application and submit those materials directly to your graduate program by the due date set by your graduate program.  Decisions about graduate assistantships/tuition scholarships will not be made until after admission is determined. Click here for information and applications forms for assistantships and tuition scholarships.  Contact your graduate coordinator for those deadlines and any questions about this process. Click here for graduate coordinator contact information.
  • In order to receive the I-20 immigration document needed to apply for a student visa, students must submit a completed Financial Statement and Certification Form at  The form asks for details on the financial funding that will be used to cover expenses for one academic year at UNI.  Signature of any sponsors and supporting bank documents are also required.  Note: This form is not required for admission, but it is required for a student visa.
  • For on-campus housing contact the Department of Residence at or call 319-273-2333 or 866-207-9411.